On June 17th from 8am – 11am Salty Dog and Dixie Divers set a Guinness World Record with their annual pier cleanup. Registration started at 7:30am in front of the pier and almost 265 people registered to form the world’s longest dive chain. It was open to everyone, divers, snorkelers, surface support and pier support.
Participants got to use the Salty Dog standup paddleboards for free.
Volunteers dove the pier and formed land duties such as pulling up the buckets the divers will fill with mono-filament line and lead sinkers and to coordinate the surface onlookers.
The City of Deerfield Beach kept records of the trash weights and different composition. Dixie Divers videotaped the divers and volunteers who participated for a DVD that was given to City of Deerfield Beach and Broward County for their environmental education programs. The Pier dive is one of the most popular for local divers because of the variety of creatures and the abundance of life there. Normally closed to divers because of fishing this once a year treat let us help the environment and dive a forbidden spot all at the same time.
Immediately following the cleanup we set a GUINNESS WORLD RECORD for the longest human chain underwater with 241 participants counted. This event was open to certified divers only.
Procedure for All Volunteers (Divers, Snorkelers and helpers out of water)
-We will start all operations for unloading and registration at 7:30 A.M.
-Unload in front of the pier, anyone who wants to park in the pier parking lot MUST pay.
– Park Free at Main Parking Lot. (the one on the side of Fire Station) ONLY 80 FREE SPOTS AVAILABLE – first come first serve!
– Must have C card or Certification Number for Divers and Liability release signed before getting in the water.
– Bring cutting tools (for mono-filament) snips, scissors, pliers, and small rake.
– Free event t-shirt and goodie bag to all volunteers.
– Bring family members for the Beach Cleanup and help on the top of pier.
Please contact Dixie Divers at (954) 420-0009 for more information.
Location (click for directions):
Deerfield Beach International Fishing Pier
200 NE 21st Ave
Deerfield Beach, FL 33441