We’ve received several emails and phone calls about concerned guests regarding our watersports activities and COVID-19 in light of the State of Emergency declared in Florida In March 2020. Governor Ron DeSantis stated:
it does not mean visitors and families in Florida should be in a state of panic. The state of emergency allows state leaders to take a unified attack on the coronavirus and it allows out of state medical personnel to operate in Florida if necessary. A state of emergency gives quicker access to supplies like masks and equipment for field hospitals.
Please rest assured that this simply means we are required to wash our equipment after use (with soap and/or bleach), which we are already mandated to do as a watersports charity. Moreover, we have never rented snorkeling gear or anything that may go into person’s mouth. The Florida Department of Health has always required us to clean all equipment after use, which we will continue to do to ensure you are safe. *COVID-19 is not airborne*
COVID-19 Measures we are taking
1. All equipment – vessels (kayaks, surfboards, paddleboards) and accessories i.e. paddles, leashes, PFD’s, etc. are wiped down with bleach solution and washed with soap and water after each use.
2. All cleaned equipment is kept away from participants / guests, who will no longer be able to view equipment before use.
3. All volunteers are required to wash their hands for 20 seconds or wear a new pair of disposable gloves before handling any equipment.
4. All volunteers are required to maintain a 6-foot distance from participants / guests at all times. We ask that participants / guests respect this distance requirement.
5. Participants / guests are required to handle their own equipment. Specifically, unloading vessels from transported vehicle / trailer and carrying their own equipment.
6. Any participants / guest found not to be in compliance with this policy will have their watersports activity / rental canceled immediately and will not be eligible for a refund or credit.
What can you do?
Tips to prevent the spread of the virus
Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds at a time before and after touching watersports equipment (paddles, PFD’s, leashes, etc.) Soap is enough to denature the structure of the virus.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze
- Do NOT reuse tissue after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose
- Do NOT wear a mask if you are not infected
- If you wear gloves – change them regularity and after touching surfaces
At this time, we will not be permitting cancellations of booked watersports equipment due to the virus. Thank you for your kind understanding.