Salty Dog Paddle Retro SUP by Glide Stand-up Paddleboard
The Retro is Salty Dog Paddle’s indestructible thermo-mold shell catchall take on the classic SUP design. The Retro is also a capable in whitewater and ocean surf.
Made in Utah, USA
Every Purchase Saves a Pup: ALL profits benefit an injured rescue dog – we do not keep any portion
No Slip Puppy Grip Traction Deck Pad that extends to the nose of the board
1 Year Replacement Warranty
Environmentally Friendly Construction – Entropy Bio Resin
NO VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds)
4 1/2″ Thickness
20 lbs Weight
4 3/4″ Thickness
25 lbs Weight
Go ahead, drop it. Jump on it. Slide over those river rocks, watch your customers drag them along the sidewalk, use it as a snowboard ramp, piñata, or paintball shield. We did. Our indestructible SUPs endure the most brutal beatings and stay intact, thanks to our innovative design and solid construction.
Our partners at Glide developed a patented “GSS” coating, or Glide Surface Shield, which is a VOC free polymer that has been developed to create an extremely durable coating that withstands damage caused by rocks, debris, abuse, paddle strikes, and drops. The non polluting ingredients in GSS gives the boards a unique rough texture finish that helps to break the surface tension and decrease the drag that is caused by the polymer’s elasticity. Even with years of normal use, GSS coating will not chip, flake, or fade.
Why Does Ultra Durable SUP Construction Matter?
- Protect your investment. Ultra durable SDP boards means less frequent purchases and less strain on your business or personal budget.
- Find your edge. Forget worrying about dings or chips, and enjoy exploring wild rivers, rocky beaches, and anywhere else your SDP board can take you.
- Secure your rental fleet. SDP’s ultra durable boards are perfect for frequent usage by even the most inexperienced paddlers – which means less stress for the business owner.
- Save the planet. Longer board life means less boards filling up our landfills, or being dumped in the ocean.
- Care for our waterways. Many epoxy painted boards cancer causing VOCs which can easily chip and flake, polluting our rivers, lakes, and streams. GSS contains NO VOC’s. We love the water. And we act like it.
Salty Dog Paddle is an Environmental Charity
Globally conscious. Paddling allows us to enjoy the stunning beauty of this world, and connect with the natural environment. Without clean, healthy waterways and oceans, we have nothing. Many companies use unknown processes and products to manufacture their boards overseas, without a single employee or agent at the production factories. Simply put, there is way to know what harmful materials are used in the construction of their boards. At Salty Dog Paddle we strive to test and develop new products and processes that lessen our carbon footprint. We do this by; limiting fossil fuel consumption, using sustainable resins, reducing waste by recycling our EPS foam, development of safe coatings, and eliminating use of harmful epoxy paints.
Recycling. No other American SUP company recycles their EPS scrap as efficiently as Salty Dog Paddle. When our EPS supplier, ACH, delivers our foam, we reload their truck with all of our foam scraps and sanding waste to return their facility for recycling.
All SUP boards start as blocks of raw EPS foam. Like so many other man-made raw materials this EPS foam is toxic at its base level and has a half-life measured not in hundreds of years but in thousands. The reality of the manufacturing process—no matter how efficiently it’s done– is that there will always be excess foam for the planet to absorb. As SUP production increases globally, this has become a significant environmental issue. 95% of SUP boards are made overseas where disposal of these harmful materials is unregulated and lacks oversight.
Salty Dog Paddle is different. We consciously chose to locate our factory a few short miles from ACH – the largest foam manufacturer in the entire country. This choice not only reduces our carbon footprint in shipping, but more importantly, enables ACH to pick up our foam remnants to recycle them into our next order of foam. The result is zero waste and not a single ounce of foam biodegrading in a landfill over the course of millennia.
NO VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). The use of our GSS and Entropy resin improves the work environment for our employees by eliminating airborne carcinogens, and protects waterways by eliminating the risk of leaching, chipping, and flaking from heavy, toxic paints and resins.
As harmful as excess foam is to the environment, the biggest ecological dangers posed by SUP boards are the toxic resins and paints used by many of our competitors. Many of our competitors use highly toxic auto paint to coat boards. The result is a board that’s beautifully shiny, and lethal to our fishy friends below the surface. As paint chips and flakes, these heavy metals disrupt the ecology and are ingested by marine life, resulting in polluted waterways and death for the fishes. Salty Dog Paddle refuses to use low cost, highly toxic Polyester resins, and have taken adherence to green manufacturing principles to an unprecedented level in SUP manufacturing. Salty Dog Paddle is proud to use exclusively 100% non-toxic Entropy Bio resins, reducing potential harm to our employees, the environment, and over overall carbon footprint.
What Makes Entropy Bio Resin Better?
- Usage results in up to 50% reduction in CO2 emissions compared to traditional petroleum-based Epoxy or Polyester resins.
- Polyester resin (the alternative) is toxic and full of cancer causing agents, like Styrene.
- Entropy Super SAP resin is a USDA Certified Biomass produced resin.
- Biomass is sourced from waste stream of other industries (biodiesel fuel and paper production), reducing carbon footprint and eliminating food source competition.
- Entropy Super Sap is currently the only surfboard resin to have been lab certified for its environmental claims and that meets US government requirements for bio-content labeling.
- Want to learn more?
Entropy’s Bio Epoxy Resins are completely harmless to the environment and our volunteers. This matters to us.
Knowledge is power. We thank you for considering the environment when shopping for your paddle board, and we’re glad you’re here with Salty Dog Paddle.